Loubia b'Dirsa, Algerian White Bean Stew
- 200 grams of haricots blancs (white beans) soaked overnight
- 300 grams of chick Peas soaked overnight
- 1 Onion minced
- 250 grams of ground Lamb or Beef
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tomatoes concasse
- vinegar or lemon wedges
- 1-2 teaspoons of spice blend
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Ingredients for dirsa:
- 2-4 fresh or dried hot red chilis (if you are using dried soak them in water until soft
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
1) Saute the onions in olive oil over medium heat for about 10–15 minutes, add tomato paste and saute for about 10 minutes more, if you are adding meat to the dish add it now, season with salt and pepper and cook for about 15 minutes.
2) Add the beans and water to cover plus more 2 cups more. Season with salt and pepper, add 1/2 of the quantity of spices you will be using. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally.If the liquid reduces to much add more water. Add the tomatoes, taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary, add more spices if desired, cook for about 30 minutes more. The beans and chick Peas should be meltingly soft.
- Method for dirsa
- You can use just white beans, rather than a blend of beans.