Jamaican Carrot Milk Drink
Cook Time: About 60 minutes
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or more to taste)
- Boil 4 cups of water.
- Clean carrots by scrubbing briskly with a vegetable brush under running water. Cut carrots into 1 inch pieces and place in boiling water for about 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Add remaining 4 cups of water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place half of carrots and water in a blender. Blend at highest speed until smooth. Pour into jug.
- Repeat this step with remaining carrots and water.
- If blender is unavailable, mash cooked carrots with a fork. Add milk, nutmeg, vanilla and sugar. Mix well. Chill and serve over ice.
- Farmers' Market Recipes by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources, public domain government resource—original source of recipe