Hot Bloody Mary Soup
This is a great soup to serve if you're entertaining guests for dinner.
- Serves 4
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, halved
- 2 red chile, halved and seeded
- 2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons vodka
- 4 small celery stalks with leaves
- celery salt, salt, pepper
- 4 thin lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large roasting pan, arrange tomatoes and chile cut side up.
- Sprinkle sugar and some salt and pepper.
- Drizzle oil on top.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until brown on top.
- Transfer roasted tomatoes in a blender.
- Add a little stock.
- Puree until smooth.
- Put puree back in the pan.
- Add remaining stock and tomato puree.
- Stir over medium low heat, taking care not to let the mixture boil.
- Add horseradish, sherry and vodka.
- Add more seasoning if desired.
- To serve, place a celery stalk in a bowl and ladle over soup.
- Sprinkle some ground black pepper.
- Finish with a slice of lemon on top.