Hot Aji Salsa
Hello Ms K
- 3 chilies or diced chilies, stems removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ – ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- 8 saltine crackers, crushed
- ¾ cup grated mozzarella cheese or muenster cheese
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté the chiles, onion and garlic in a tablespoon of the oil until soft.
- Place in a blender or food processor along with the peanuts, crackers, cheese, milk and cilantro and puree until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice and, with the machine running, add the oil a little at a time until the sauce is the desired consistency.
- Heat before serving, and store any extra in the refrigerator.
- Note: Using saltine crackers to thicken a sauce is unusual but not uncommon in Peru.