Hidden Apple Butter Muffins
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Hager Estate in Canton, Texas in 1982. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅔ cup apple butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a muffin tin or tins.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon to a coarse meal or streusel- like crumb.
- Measure out 1 cup the crumbs and set it aside for the topping.
- Stir the baking powder into the remaining mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff but still glossy.
- Combine the vinegar and baking soda.
- When the bubbles settle down stir in the egg yolks and milk.
- Pour this liquid and the beaten egg whites over the dry ingredients and immediately combine the batter with a 15 second stirring and folding.
- Do not expect a smooth thoroughly moistened dough there will be lumps of flour and slicks of egg white showing.
- Quickly spoon the mixture into the tins.
- Place a tablespoon of apple butter in the center of each muffin then divide and sprinkle the reserved streusel crumbs over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook for 5 minutes before turning out of tins.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group