Herring Paste with Apples
In Romanian: Pasta de heringi cu mere
- Slit the fish lengthwise and keep in warm water for 5 – 6 hours.
- Then wash, skin and debone the fish.
- Remove the head and tail but keep them.
- Chop or grind the fish very fine.
- Sieve the hard boiled yolk and then mix with butter.
- Add the ground fish and make a paste.
- Then add the grated apple and mix some more.
- Place the paste on a long serving plate and shape it like a fish.
- Put the head and tail where they belong.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped egg white on top.
- Decorate with lettuce leaves placed around the fish paste.
- You can also use this paste for sandwiches.