To make lactose-free, use unsalted margarine with no milk products added.
- Cool cornbread slightly and cut into 1-inch chunks or break it into small bite-size pieces.
- Place cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until toasted; stirring every ten minutes.
- Remove cornbread cubes from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Melt butter in pan; saute the celery and onion until soft.
- Stir in the thyme, sage, and parsley.
- Stir the cornbread and cooked onion-celery mixture together.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add the stock or broth and mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the cavity of a turkey or bake the stuffing in a casserole dish.