Garam Masala I
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- 5 x 3-inch (8 cm) pieces of cinnamon stick
- ½ cup (125 ml) cardamom seeds
- ½ cup (125 ml) whole cloves
- ½ cup (125 ml) whole cumin seed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole coriander seeds
- ½ cup (125 ml) whole black peppercorns
- Combine the whole spices in a heavy skillet over moderate heat and toast for a few minutes, until they are warm and aromatic.
- Allow to cool, then pulverize in an electric blender or coffee grinder (that you use exclusively for grinding spices) until it forms a fine powder.
- This recipe makes about 1½ cups (375 ml) and may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for several months without losing its flavor