Fried Hand Pies
Purchased from Patterson Estate in Tyler, Texas in 1992. Notation indicates this is Aunt Betty’s specialty that she brings to all family gatherings. Dated 1952. This one is fabulous. I have made it with fresh peaches, fresh blackberries, fresh strawberries, fresh rhubarb and fresh apricots. My favorite by far is the peach but wanted to produce the recipe as it is in its written form. I serve these at my poker/dinner parties with a scoop of homemade peach ice cream.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Combine flour, shortening and milk and mix well.
- Roll into balls the size of a walnut flatten each with a rolling pin.
- Peel and chop apples.
- Cook apples, butter, spices, and brown sugar until apples are tender.
- Place a tablespoon of the apple mixture in center of each flattened ball of dough.
- Fold corners and press edges with fork.
- Fry in oil until golden brown on each side.
- Top with powdered sugar.