Fried Catfish with Spicy Pumpkin Seed Crust
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 4.
- 8 small catfish fillets
- 1 cup flour, seasoned with 1 teaspoon salt, and also ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flat beer
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, diced fine
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- In a large bowl, add eggs and beat.
- Blend in flour and salt.
- Add cornmeal and beer, a little at a time while whisking lightly.
- Batter should be a little lumpy.
- Let stand at room temperature for one hour.
- Lightly fold in remaining ingredients.
- Dust fish with seasoned flour and then batter to coat.
- Place in hot oil (375 °F to 400 °F) until brown and crispy, about three to four minutes.
- While fish are frying, prepare tartar sauce.
- Plate will have some prepared coleslaw and lemon wedges.
- Place fish on plate, place ramekin of tartar sauce on plate and garnish with fresh cilantro.