Fava beans - This way of preparing fava beans, which are commonly eaten as a breakfast food in Sudan. The ingredients tend to be common for the dish but may be varied in their quantities.
- 1 x 16-ounce can cooked fava beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- juice of 2 lemons
- salt, pepper, and red chili pepper to taste
- pita bread (optional)
- Pour the beans into a pot and bring to a boil for about 1 – 2 hours.. Mix them well and add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil again, then reduce to medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- This dish is usually eaten with bread (Pita).
- I found that certain ingredients like; oil (olive, corn.. etc.)vinegar, lemon juice, black pepper, cumin, salt, tomatoes, onions (spring, white, red .. etc.), parsley, shatta (dry, fresh) form the basis of most recipes.
- Take your pick and mix it in any way you want depending on your mode and availability.
- Having said that we should not forget taheena and eggs. I am getting hungry here. Ummmm!!!