This is a great cold and creamy soup for a hot summers day. Vichyssoise Soup was created in America. I have added some caraway seeds and sour cream to give it an "American Jewish" taste. Enjoy!
- Put potatoes in salted water and cook, until almost done.
- Remove potatoes, mash and then add to chicken stock.
- Add garlic and 2 tablespoons butter/margarine and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Put potato stock through a strainer and remove any lumpy pieces.
- In a separate cooking pot add 1 tablespoon of butter/margarine and add the celery, stir for 1 minute and remove.
- In the same pot put in 2 tablespoons butter/margarine, add leeks and cook until slightly translucent.
- Add potato stock to leeks, stir and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Next add half and half cream, stir and add saltand pepper to taste.
- Add caraway seeds and/or a pinch of curry powder.
- Let cool and then add the cucumbers and celery (both should remain crunchy).
- Put into a big glass jar/container and chill in refrigerator.
- Serve in individual bowls with a pinch of chives or parsley and a pinch of mr.
- Dash on top for color.
- Have available sour cream on the side!.