- Beat the eggs and egg yolks together until thick and lemon colored.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, salt, extracts, citrus rinds, cognac, and sour cream and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Add enough flour gradually to produce a thick, fairly stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 8 – 10 minutes until the dough is elastic and can be handled easily.
- Roll pieces of dough ⅛ inch thin (should be able to see through them) and cut into strips about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- Cut the ends on a diagonal.
- Slit each piece in the center and pull one end through the slit.
- Heat the Crisco and lard to 375°F and fry the dough strips, until lightly browned (about 1 minute) drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.