- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Have ready ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet(s).
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and spices.
- Cut candied fruits, dates and figs into small pieces and toss with a small amount of the flour mixture.
- Combine in a large bowl with the pecans, raisins and currants.
- Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl of electric mixer on high speed until light, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in the coffee.
- Stop the mixer and add the flour mixture.
- Mix on low speed just until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold in the fruit and nut mixture to coat all the pieces.
- Drop batter onto baking sheet in walnut-size mounds leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake until set and tops are lightly browned, 14 to 16 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container, with a small wedge of apple to keep them soft.
- The cookies may be glazed or sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, if desired.