Chocolate Reindeer Cookies
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 36 cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 72 small pretzel twists
- 72 candy-coated milk chocolate pieces
- 36 small red gum drops
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions.
- Wrap portions in waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Chill for 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion into a circle 6 inches in diameter.
- Using a knife, cut each circle into 6 wedges.
- Place wedges 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- For antlers, on each triangle lightly press a pretzel into the upper corners.
- Press in chocolate pieces for eyes.
- For a nose, press a red gumdrop into the dough triangle about ½ inch from the point.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Do not over bake.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.