This was inspired by my Chilean Grandma and loosely based on Pastel de Choclo, a local chicken, beef corn dish. With some additions and subtractions an equally yummy dish has evolved.
- Preheat oven to about 190°C.
- Poach chicken breasts in water or stock, keep stock aside.
- Shred chicken.
- Sauté chopped onion.
- Add sliced mushrooms, cook till juices run.
- Add cornflour, cumin, oregano.
- On low heat gradually add about 300ml stock, from above, to make sauce.
- Bring to boil add chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze spinach dry.
- Combine spinach, toasted chopped cashews and crushed garlic in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Boil 1½ litres of salted water or stock.
- Remove from heat and slowly add polenta while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Place pot back on heat and cook till thick and creamy.
- Add grated cheese and chopped.
- Spread on greased tray 1cm thick and bake in oven for 15 minutes till brown.
- Cut to fit casserole dish enough for two layers.
- Place chicken mix in bottom of casserole dish.
- Place sliced hard boiled eggs and raisins on top.
- Add layer of grilled polenta.
- Then place spinach mix on top.
- Then add final layer of polenta.
- Bake in oven for 35 – 45 minutes.