Chicken Italiano I
Original recipe calls for chicken breast with bones. Because of the sauce, it is easier to eat with bones removed. A good dish to make with a whole utility frying chicken. Bones and skin can be cooked up in a separate pot for stock.
- Makes 4 servings
- 14 oz tomatoes, canned
- ½ tsp basil, dried
- ½ tsp tarragon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tsp butter, oil or margarine
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 lbs chicken pieces, skinned
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped or 2 tsp dry
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Pour tomatoes into container of a blender or food processor.
- Add basil, tarragon, salt and pepper.
- Puree until smooth.
- Melt margarine in a large frypan.
- Saute garlic over medium heat 1 minutes (or mix in ½ tsp garlic powder with other spices)
- Add chicken pieces, sauté, turning once or twice until golden on both sides.
- Cover with tomato mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until tender.
- Remove chicken and place in a warm oven-proof dish.
- Stir parsley into sauce and spoon over chicken.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Place under heated broiler 1 minutes just until cheese melts or place on a microwave-safe dish and melt cheese in microwave or sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- 255 calories | 5g carbohydrate | 25g protein | 15g fat
- 3 protein choices, ½ fruits choice, 1 fats choice