Chicken Fajitas with Green Olive Cilantro Salsa
- 18 corn or 12 flour tortillas, warmed or crisped just before serving
- 2½ lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ med onion
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 4 tsp olive oil, if frying
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 lb jumbo green olives (about 2 cups), pitted
- 2 cloves large garlic
- 4 serrano chiles, stemmed
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp minced lemon zest
- Place a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap on a counter top or cutting board.
- Place 1 chicken breast on top and cover with another piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- With a mallet, pound the chicken breast ⅛ inch thick.
- Continue in the same way until all the breasts are flattened.
- Set aside until ready to cook, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- When ready to cook the fajitas, finely grate the onion.
- In a large nonreactive dish, mix the onion and its juice with the orange juice and soy.
- Remove the waxed paper or plastic wrap, and place the chicken in the onion-orange-soy mixture.
- Turn to coat both sides.
- Set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes and up to 45 minutes, turning once or twice.
- If grilling, prepare a charcoal fire and allow the coals to burn until they are mostly covered with white ash and a few red spots show through here and there.
- This will take about 40 minutes.
- When the fire is ready, place the chicken breasts on the grill rack, directly above the coals.
- Cook until no longer pink, but still moist in the center, about 1½ minutes on each side.
- If frying, divide the oil between two large frying pans and set over medium-heat until the oil begins to smoke. (you can use one frying pan to save on dishes and cook the fajitas in several rounds.)
- Add as many chicken breasts as will fit in one uncrowded layer.
- Cook until no longer pink but still moist in the center, about 1½ minutes on each side.
- Remove and drain off any liquid from the pan.
- Continue cooking another round until all the breasts are cooked.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips.
- In a food processor or using a chef's knife, mince the , garlic, chiles, and cilantro to create the salsa.
- Stir in the olive oil and lemon zest.
- Serve right away, or cover, refrigerate, and use within 1 week.
- To assemble fajitas, place about ⅓ cup of chicken in the middle of a tortilla.
- Top with some shredded lettuce, sour cream, and green olive-cilantro salsa.
- Fold and serve.
Per serving: 990 calories, 50g protein, 44g carbohydrates, 69g fat, 4g dietary fiber