- Clean the chicken, remove the skin and cut into small pieces.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes separately.
- Roast the whole red chilies, grated coconut, poppy seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, fennel seeds in oil and grind to a paste for 20mts along with ginger and garlic.
- Heat oil in a vessel and fry the onions till golden, then add curry leaves and the ground paste and sauté for some time.
- Add the tomatoes, red chili powder and turmeric powder and sauté.
- Add the chicken, mix and cook for 5 minutes and then add 2 cups of water and lemon juice.
- Cover and cook till the chicken is done.
- Serve chicken chettinad hot garnished with coriander leaves and accompanied with boiled rice, rotis or tandoori naan.