Chicken, Tomatillo and Jalapeño Stew
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 6 servings, 1½ cups each
- 1 medium onion, cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 4 medium red-skinned potatoes, cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 boneless, skin less chicken thighs (1½ lbs)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1½ lbs tomatillos (12 – 16 medium), papery husks removed, rinsed and cut into ¼-inch rounds
- ¼ cup sliced pickled jalapeños, plus 2 tbsp pickling juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a 5-to-6 quart ovenproof dutch oven with a tight fitting lid, arrange onion slices in a slightly overlapping layer covering the bottom.
- Spread potatoes on top of the onions in overlapping layers and sprinkle with salt.
- Place chicken on top of potatoes, followed by cilantro and a layer of tomatillos.
- Top with jalapeño slices and drizzle with pickling juice.
- Bake the stew, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- More to reduce the juices.
- Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.
Per serving: 275 calories | 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono) | 74 mg cholesterol | 24 g carbohydrate | 23 g protein | 4 g fiber | 215 mg sodium