- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except cabbage.
- Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In the mean time, core the head of cabbage, boil in salted water till soft.
- Separate into leaves, and keep in ice-cold water.
- Remove the thick veins if necessary.
- Spread a cabbage leaf on cutting board, place two tablespoons of filling, fold sides, and roll up.
- Hold the loose end of the leaf with small bamboo sticks.
- Repeat with other leaves.
- Rub butter generously on the stuffed rolls and stack in a steamer.
- Steam till the stuffing is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer the steamed rolls to a large plate.
- In a non-stick sauce pan heat two tablespoons of clarified butter, splitter mustard seeds.
- Add onions and saute till brown.
- Add garlic, ginger, and chili powder, and fry for a minute over low heat.
- Add tomatoes, broth, jwanu and salt and pepper.
- Simmer the tomato mixture until the sauce thickens up, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the stuffed cabbage rolls to the sauce and heat through, frequently turning, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Serve with roti and tomato achar.