Casserole with Red Peppers and Black Beans
- 1 acorn or butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups sliced Onion
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 4 red bell peppers -- julienned
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup grated low-fat jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- safflower oil -- for coating pan
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper -- for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350176;F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Split Squash in half and place, cut side down, on baking sheet, leaving in seeds (moisture from seeds helps speed cooking process). Bake Squash for 20 minutes.
2. While Squash is baking, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute Onion in safflower oil and sherry until soft but not browned. Add red peppers and garlic to saute and cook for 5 more minutes.
3. Mix sauteed vegetables with coriander, cumin, dry mustard, yogurt, sour cream, parsley, beans, brown rice, Cheese, and lemon juice. When Squash is baked, scoop out seeds and remove peel. Cube cooked Squash and add to other ingredients.
4. Lightly oil a large casserole dish and spoon mixture into it. Garnish top with red pepper slices. Bake for 25 minutes.