Carrot and Orzo Salad with Fresh Dill
- 3 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 5 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. orzo pasta
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest from the 2 lemons
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely pack fresh dill, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450 °F.
2. In a small bowl, toss carrots and garlic cloves with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15–20 minutes or until carrots are browned and tender. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10–15 minutes.
3. Squeeze out pulp from garlic cloves into a small bowl and discard skins. Mash pulp with the back side of a spoon until it resembles a paste.
4. Cook orzo according to package instructions. Drain in a colander (do not rinse) then transfer to a large bowl. Toss with remaining olive oil then add carrots.
5. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, zest, scallions and garlic paste. Mix in dill then pour over orzo mixture and toss until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.