Carrot and Onion Puff
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1½ cups skim milk
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh parsley
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 egg whites
- In a large saucepan combine onion, carrots, garlic, and water.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or till vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Do not drain.
- Stir in milk, oat bran, parsley, salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese till melted.
- Cool slightly.
- In a large mixer bowl beat egg whites till stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Fold in vegetable mixture.
- Pour into an ungreased 1½ qt soufflé dish.
- Bake in a 325°F oven about 50 minutes or till top is brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
- 218 calories | 17g protein | 19g carbohydrates | 10g fat | 31mg cholesterol | 551mg sodium | 460mg potassium