Carrot-Dill Bisque with Griddled Croutons
- Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced + 2 whole garlic cloves
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1½ teaspoons dried dill
- 12 slices thinly-sliced baguette
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- Process carrots in food processor until finely chopped.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and minced garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, apple juice and dill. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are tender, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make croutons: in heavy medium skillet, heat remaining oil.
- In batches, cook baguette slices until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove croutons from skillet and rub each slice with whole garlic.
- Season soup to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in soy milk.
- In a blender or food processor, purée soup, in batches if necessary, until smooth.
- Serve with croutons.
- Calories 231 | Fat 4 g | Carbs 32 g | Sodium 289 Mg | Fiber 5 g
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/