Café au lait
|Café au lait|
|Time:||prep: 10-20 minutes|
Literally "coffee with milk", café au lait is a drink made of coffee and scalded milk in a ratio of 1:1. It is the staple coffee drink of French Louisiana and is often served in bowls in Acadiana.
- 5 Tbsp (70g) Coffee grounds, can be:
- Dark (French) roast coffee
- Coffee and chicory blend
- 3 Tbsp (42g) ground coffee and 2 Tbsp (28g) ground chicory, mixed
- Prepare four cups of coffee in your preferred manner -- drip, boil, seep, etc. If you are using coffee concentrate, add enough hot water to reach four cups of coffee.
- At the same time, heat the milk over a low to medium heat until scalded.
- Pour equal amounts of coffee and scalded milk into bowls or cups.
- Steamed milk can be substituted for scalded milk.
- The milk can be heated in the cups by half filling each cup with milk and microwaving briefly. A 1,000W microwave oven will heat one half-cup of milk in 50 seconds, two in 60 seconds.