Cachapas are traditionally made with fresh corn, and are a summer favorite, but this easy recipe uses canned cream corn, pancake mix and whatever cheese you have on hand. Try this simple appetizer for a taste of Venezuela whenever you like.
- 1 can creamed corn (14 fl oz, 398 g)
- 3/4 cup pancake mix
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- cheese of your choice
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender. The mix should become thick and heavy. If not, add more corn.
- Shape the mix into small pancakes approximately 1/2 inch thick and about 5 inches in diameter. Let them cook on medium heat for about one minute on each side, or until small bubbles form on the top.
- Pancakes should be served hot, and may be accompanied with cheese (feta cheese is one option, Mexican white cheese "Cotija", Venezuelan or Columbian "Queso Blanco", where available).