- Finely chop the onion, celery and 1 clove garlic and fry gently in a large pan.
- Add the tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped), parsley, wine and 1 litre [1 scant pt] water.
- Season with salt and pepper and leave to boil for about half an hour.
- When the liquid has thickened, add the to the pan, starting with the toughest varieties.
- Continue to cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes taking care never to move the to avoid breaking it.
- Rub the bread slices with the remaining garlic, transfer to soup bowls then ladle over the with its broth.
- The cacciucco is the richest, tastiest and most substantial of a wide variety of Tuscan soups.
- It is easier to digest.