Brown Sugar Apple Muffins
From "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group"
- original recipe
- Source: dLife
- 2 cups oat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup non-fat or low-fat vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ cup fat-free egg substitute; or 2 large eggs + 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola or walnut oil
- 1 cup peeled apples (about 1 medium-large), finely chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, pecans, dried cranberries, or dark raisins, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir well.
- Mix in the brown sugar, using the back of a wooden spoon to break up sugar clumps.
- Mix the yogurt, apple juice, egg substitute or eggs, and oil in a small bowl.
- Stir well.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the oat bran mixture and stir well.
- Fold in the apples and if desired, the nuts or dried fruit.
- Coat only the bottoms of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and fill ¾ full with batter.
- Bake for about 16 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes while still in muffin tin before removing and serving.
- The oat bran is a great, healthy flour replacement.
- Calories: 100 | Carbohydrate: 19g | Protein: 4.4g | Total Fat: 3.4g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Fiber: 2.6g | Sodium: 133mg
- "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends