Broccoli and Apple Soup
- 1 large head broccoli, about 300g (11 oz)
- 2 dessert apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 750 ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
- pepper to taste
- 90 ml (3 fl oz) double cream
- Discard the tough stem from the broccoli and coarsely chop.
- Melt butter, add the onion and apples.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and broccoli.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Purée the soup, return to the saucepan and heat slowly.
- Add pepper and cream.
- Serve with croutons.