Makes 6 servings
- 1½ pounds fish fillets (cod, haddock, pollock, or snapper)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup sherry
- 1 x 14½ to 16-ounce can tomatoes, including juice (2 cups)
- 1 pound peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 6 to 8 ounces crab meat
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ground red pepper
- 3 to 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Cut fish into serving pieces.
- Combine salt, black pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme and allspice.
- Rub into fish.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oil in large dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add fish in single layer.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Turn fish; cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, sherry and tomatoes, chopped, including juice.
- Cover, bring just to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp, crab meat and cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until shrimp are pink and mixture thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Season to taste with red pepper and salt.
- Serve over rice in soup bowls.