Black Bean and Mushroom Quesadillas
- 1 pineapple, peeled and sliced into ½-inch-thick rings
- 1 ripe mango, chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 3 jalapeño chiles, seeded and chopped, or to taste
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Grill or broil the pineapple rings until lightly browned on both sides.
- Chop into cubes, and mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté the onion and mushrooms until the onion begins to soften, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapeños, and continue to sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the black beans, chipotle en adobo, cumin, salt and pepper, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook, stirring, until heated through.
- Add the cilantro, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Place 1 tortilla on a flat surface, and spoon about ⅓ cup mushroom-bean mixture onto one-half of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Fold the unfilled half over the filling, and set aside.
- Repeat until the filling mixture is used up.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and heat the skillet.
- Heat the quesadillas on the filled sides until browned, for about 3 minutes.
- Turn over, and brown the second sides.
- Spray the skillet as needed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place quesadillas on individual plates, and top generously with the salsa.