Berry Blue Salad
Thanks to Julie, who shops at our Overland Park, Kansas store, for generously sharing her idea for this exceptional berry salad. Blueberries add a burst of sweet, acidic flavor and significant antioxidant nutrition. The olive oil and orange juice dressing is enlivened by lemon thyme leaves. Add grilled or broiled chicken or tempeh for a heartier meal.
- 8 cups loosely packed organic baby field greens or a combination mixed with baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 – 2 tablespoons fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup roasted sliced or slivered almonds
- Place greens, blueberries, blue cheese and red onion in a serving bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together olive oil, orange juice, lemon thyme leaves, shallot if desired, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss salad with the dressing and garnish with roasted, sliced almonds.
Per serving (208 g-wt.):
- 260 calories (200 from fat) | 23g total fat | 4.5g saturated fat | 6g protein | 13g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 4g sugar) | 5mg cholesterol | 290mg sodium
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/