Beet and Cabbage Stew
- If you are using fresh beets, you first need to place them in boiling water for between 90 minutes and two hours. For better flavor bake at 350 °F for 90 minutes. When they are soft enough that a fork will go in easily then they are done. Put them in a sink or large bowl full of cool water. Once they are cool pick up a beet and press your thumbs into the skin to start peeling them, sometimes they are not soft enough for this and you just need to cook them longer. If you use canned beets they will be ready right out of the can.
- While the beets are cooking you should start cooking the meat. Place the meat and bones into a large 12 qt. stock pot. Add the two cans of crushed tomatoes and a similar quantity of water. Stir it up and bring to a boil.
- While the meat and beets are cooking chop up all of the vegetables, mince the garlic and squeeze the lemons.
- After the meat has been boiling for between an hour and 90 minutes then you should add all of the vegetables except the beets which are still cooking, the lemon juice and the sugar.
- Finish peeling and cubing the beets, when the simmering vegetables are soft add the beets, stir well. Then add as much or as little lemon juice and sugar as you like, to suit your own taste. Cook for five more minutes and it’s done.