Beer Apple Fritters
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wadley Estate in Allen, Texas in 1990. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup maple beer or amber ale
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 large Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- powdered maple sugar granules
- Sift the dry ingredients into a 2 quart mixing bowl.
- Blend the liquid ingredients then mix all ingredients well and let the batter rest in the refrigerator for an hour or more.
- Peel core and dice the apples.
- Toss in melted butter then stir gently into the batter making sure apples are evenly coated.
- Bring the oil to 375°F in a large deep heavy skillet.
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with brown paper or paper toweling and place in a 150°F oven.
- Drop tablespoons of fritter batter with several chunks of apple in a tablespoon into the hot oil and fry on both sides until browned and crispy about 3 minutes total.
- Let oil return to 375°F between batches.
- Use tongs to place the cooked fritters on paper lined baking sheet in slow oven to drain off excess oil and keep warm.
- Serve with a dusting of maple sugar.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group