Azafran Soup with Spinach Greens and Yellow Cornmeal Dumplings
- 1 cup ground yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp azafran
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 2 yellow summer squash, diced
- 3 cup corn kernels
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and stemmed
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add the butter and milk and mix well.
- Knead in a little more flour.
- Divide the dough into 1" balls, flatten, and shape into small triangles.
- Pour the chicken stock into a pot and boil * reduce the heat to a simmer and drop in the dumplings.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the dumplings from the stock and set aside.
- Heat 2 cups of the water and the azafran in a large saucepan about 7 minutes.
- Pour through a fine sieve, discard the azafran, and return the liquid to the saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper, stock, and the remaining 4 cups of the water and bring boil
- Add squash, reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add cork kernels and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add dumplings and spinach, cook 2 minutes.