Artichokes and Peas
- 6 artichokes
- 500 g shelled fresh peas
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 g smoked ham, diced
- 1 glass or more of Beef stock
- salt and pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 strip of lemon peel
- Remove the outer tough leaves of the artichokes and cut off the spiky tops of the remaining leaves, if any, and with the aid of a teaspoon remove the choke.
- Put each artichoke in flour and let them soak in a basin with the added lemon juice.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, add the Onion, and when it starts to soften add the Ham.
- Drain the artichokes and put in the pan with the Peas.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the strip of lemon peel pour the stock over the vegetables, cover the pan with the lid and simmer until the artichokes are tender.
- Halfway through cooking you might have to add some more stock if the vegetables dry up when ready remove the lemon peel and serve either hot as an accompaniment to fish, or cold as a salad, sprinkled with parsley and olive oil.