Arabic Eggplant Salad
- 2 x 300 g Eggplants
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- olive oil for frying
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or ground chilli
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and ground
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp diced preserved lemon
2) Pour oil into a wide based pan to 2 cm deep and fry the Eggplant in batches in a single layers until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towel, discard the oil and wipe the pan clean. When the Eggplant has cooled slightly, mix it with the garlic and spices and return to the pan. Cook over a low heat,stirring occasionally until all the liquid evaporates (about 10–15 minutes). Add lemon juice and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary — you may need to add a little salt.
3) Allow the salad to cool for 30 minutes, then toss the coriander and preserved lemon through, and serve slightly warm, (never from the refrigerator).