Apple or Pear Clafoutis
An easy French dessert. I'd never heard of this dessert until I ate it in a small hotel at the foot of the French Pyrenees. I came back home and was able to find this recipe on the internet—I believe a French cuisine website, but the name escapes me. Quick, easy, and yummy, too. Preparation time includes resting time.
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 lbs apples or pears, peeled seeded,and chopped
- Sift flour, sugar and baking powder into a bowl.
- Make a well in the center of mixture and add the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
- Mix in well to form a smooth batter.
- Add 4 tbs of the melted butter.
- Let batter stand for 30 minutes while preparing the fruit.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Butter an 8 inch round cake tin.
- Stir the fruit into the batter and pour into the tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm, or cold.