Apple and Barley Pudding
Another popular St. Patrick's Day dish.
- 4 tablespoons pearl barley
- 1½ pounds apples
- 2 ounces sugar
- ¾ tablespoon double cream
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 liter water
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Place barley in saucepan with 1 liter of water and bring to a boil.
- Bring heat to low and add sliced apples.
- Continue cooking until barley and apples are soft.
- Place barley and apples in a blender and process to a chunky consistency.
- Put back in the saucepan.
- Add sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil again.
- Remove from heat.
- Place pudding mixture in a rectangular container and allow to cool before placing it in the fridge to chill.
- Serve chilled with cream stirred in.