Apple Pecan Cake with Cinnamon
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, strained
- 1 tbsp lemon rind
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 2¼ cups pecans, chopped
- 4½ oz cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup sweet butter
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy.
- Beat in sugar, salt, vanilla, and vegetable oil, lemon juice and lemon rind.
- Beat until well blended and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, measure out 3 cups of flour.
- Add baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and sift ingredients together.
- Gradually beat the dry ingredients into sugar-egg mixture until well blended.
- Stir in the grated apples and chopped nuts.
- Butter a tube pan and flour lightly.
- Pour in cake batter and bake at 355 degrees for 1½ hours or until done.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all frosting ingredients except pecans.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Spread onto cool cake.
- Sprinkle top with chopped pecans.
- Garnish base with whole pecans.