Makes 12 muffins
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1½ cups peeled, cored, finely diced apples (any baking or all-purpose variety)
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar or sucanat
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup soy milk or low-fat milk
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg well, then whisk in brown sugar until dissolved.
- Whisk in oil, then milk, until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, wheat germ, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice.
- Gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until a smooth, stiff batter forms.
- Stir in apples and walnuts if desired.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until golden and toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes, then turn muffins out onto rack and cool completely.