Apple Frangipane Tart
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
Recipe Location: CDKitchen
- Recipe ID: 38388
- Serves/Makes: 8
- Difficulty Level: 4
- Ready In: 1 - 2 hrs
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese, softened
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 2¼ ounces ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 5 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- Butter-flavored vegetable cooking spray
- 3½ Granny Smith apples, peeled
- 2 tablespoons warm honey
- Beat cheese at medium speed of a mixer until smooth.
- Add ½ cup sugar, ground almonds, vanilla extract, and egg whites, and beat until well blended. Set aside.
- Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, coat each sheet with cooking spray, and fold in half crosswise, forming a 13 x 8½-inch rectangle.
- Gently press 1 folded sheet of phyllo into a 10-inch tart pan, allowing ends to extend over edges of pan; recoat phyllo with cooking spray.
- Place another folded sheet of phyllo across first sheet in a crisscross design; recoat phyllo with cooking spray.
- Repeat procedure with remaining 3 sheets of phyllo.
- Decoratively crimp edges of phyllo crust, and spread cheese mixture evenly into crust.
- Cut each apple half crosswise into thin slices, leaving slices stacked together to keep shape of apple half.
- Place 6 apple halves around edge of tart and 1 in the center of cheese mixture; sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Bake at 350 °F for 50 minutes or until mixture is puffed and golden and apples are tender==References==