Amy's Chewy Coconut Bars
I was looking for a good bar cookie to add to my cookie tray that was suitable for Redneck Epicurean who was diabetic. We were partners in a holiday cookie swap and I was in awe of her cheerfulness even when she was in tremendous pain. She loved them and in her honor I am renaming this bar for her. Combining coconuts and walnuts with a faint hint of maple really appealed to me so I decided to give it a try as well as posting here for others as well as for future reference.
- 2 eggs
- 5¼ teaspoons Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- ¼ teaspoon maple flavoring
- ½ cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Using a mixer, beat eggs, splenda and maple flavoring in medium bowl.
- Blend in in margarine and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.
- Stir into egg mixture.
- Fold in coconut, walnuts, and raisins.
- Spread batter evenly in greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake until browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
Calculated for 1 serving (31g). Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking was not included
- Calories 123 | Calories from Fat 88 (71%) | Total Fat 9.8g 15% (Saturated Fat 4.2g 21%, Polyunsat. Fat 1.8g, Monounsat. Fat 3.1g, Trans Fat 0.0g) | Cholesterol 26mg 8% | Sodium 136mg 5% | Potassium 78mg 2% | Total Carbohydrate 8.0g 2% (Dietary Fiber 1.1g 4%, Sugars 3.2g) | Protein 1.8g 3% | Vitamin A 282mcg 5% | Vitamin B6 0.0mg 2% | Vitamin B12 0.1mcg 1% | Vitamin C 0mg 0% | Vitamin E 1mcg 4% | Calcium 30mg 3% | Magnesium 8mg 2% | Iron 0mg 2%
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/