Alternative:Tuscan Bean Soup
|Alternative:Tuscan Bean Soup|
|Servings:||4 to 6|
Prep: 15 to 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1½ hours
- 3 cups cranberry or pinto beans
- 1 cup spelt or wheat berries (available at gourmet-food shops)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound kale, preferably Tuscan, coarse stems removed, cut into thick ribbons
- 1 medium-large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large rib celery, trimmed and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned low-sodium stock, plus more if needed
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced tomatoes, or drained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Soak beans and spelt overnight in separate bowls of cold water.
- Drain, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until meat begins to separate and brown (3 to 5 minutes).
- Stir in kale, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
- Cook until softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add beans, spelt, chicken stock, and tomatoes.
- Bring to boil.
- Stir in rosemary and sage.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer mixture for 60 or 70 minutes, until beans are tender, (If soup is too thick, add chicken stock.)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle on cheese.
- Serve immediately.