Albanian Walnut Cake
It is supposed to be moist and rich, but not overly sweet.
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or additional 1/3 cup yogurt)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 dash ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- cream together the butter and Sugar until light and fluffy, and then mix in the eggs.
- Blend the yogurt with the buttermilk.
- Sift together the cake dry ingredients and add them alternating with the yogurt mixture into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the lemon rind and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a buttered 9X13 baking pan and bake for 30–40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The cake will still be moist.
- Make the glaze by simmering together all the ingredients, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven, turn off the oven, pour the glaze over the hot cake and return it to the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the cake into squares and serve it warm or cool.