Aegean Fish Soup
- 1 3/4 kg mixed (below) prepared whole rinsed and drained
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 8 sm Potatoes peeled whole
- 6 sm Onions peeled whole
- 2 x Carrots peeled and quartered
- 2 sm stalks Celery including some leaves chopped
- 225 gm courgettes quartered into 50mm lengths
- 2 x Lemon
- 1 x salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the olive oil in a very large saucepan with 1.4L of water bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 45 minutes in order to emulsify the liquid.
- Sprinkle in some seasoning and add the fish.
- Bring back to the boil and skim until clear.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Then add all the vegetables.
- They should be half immersed in the broth so add a little hot water if necessary but beware of too much liquid as it will result in a tasteless soup.
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes for large fish or less for smaller ones making sure the fish does not disintegrate.
- It midst hold together so that it can be taken out whole without breaking if possible.
- If the fish are small and cook quicker they should be taken out earlier and kept warm.
- Add in the juice of 1 lemon at the end.
- Carefully take the fish out of the liquid transfer it to a warmed platter and surround it with the vegetables.
- Serve the Soup separately and ask people to help themselves to a piece of and a selection of vegetables; or if they prefer they can have the Soup first and fish and vegetables afterwards.